Wednesday 14 November 2012

Project - Cardigan and Scoopneck - Redux a Turtleneck

Last year, I really got into cardigans for their comfort and style versatility. They can be dressed up or down and are certainly much more chic than the hoodies I had worn for a while. I was trying to find the perfect cardigan, but somehow finding one proved difficult. I'm a picky shopper and try to buy things I will actually wear. On one of my shopping excursions I noticed some turtleneck sweaters that were on clearance. They had all the elements I wanted in a cardigan, except that they were pullover tops. That didn't deter me! They were inexpensive enough that if my reduxing didn't work out, the money spent wouldn't break the bank. I came up with a plan, bought three of them, one each in black, grey and fuchsia pink (I'm also a notorious bulk buyer - when the price is right, I can't help it!) and began the redux. 

I started with one sweater first and cut up the center front. I bought the sweater about three sizes too large so there would be some extra fabric to play with. I had extra fabric from the sleeve ribbings which were very generous. I was able to cut two patch pockets and two narrower sleeve ribbings from the original piece. I sewed the new sleeve ribbings on and marked and sewed on the patch pockets. I didn't finish any of the raw edges on the center front or the patch pockets. The knit fabric was fine enough that I knew it wouldn't ravel or get ratty in the wash. I did the same to the remaining two sweaters and now I have three stylish cardigans!







On another outing, I found an awesome deal on Nicole Miller turtleneck tops in slinky, black rayon/spandex - only $3.99 each at my local Costco! I ended up buying two - one to wear as it was and another to redux. I hadn't planned out what I would do to the top, but I bought the second one three sizes too large again. After a while of contemplating, I decided to keep it simple and redux the turtleneck into a scoopneck top with a shaped, baseball shirt style hem. I love this hem shape as it gives femininity and interest in a subtle way. Changing the hem and neckline of a top are easy ways to freshen your wardrobe without spending money for something new.


No comments:

Post a Comment